The history of Schnitterhof
Schnitterhof is made up of a number of different buildings.
The oldest part of the complex is Hof Kallewegge, which now houses the restaurant on the ground floor and the large conference hall upstairs. Built as a farmhouse shortly after the Seven Years War on the site where it still stands, it was occupied by the Kallewege family until 1954.
Following the success of Hof Hueck opposite, which was transported from Unna-Massen to Bad Sassendorf in 1971 and reopened as a hotel and restaurant, it was decided to build another hotel complex around Hof Kallewegge as its centrepiece in the spa gardens east of the Rosenau stream. The logical approach was to buy another large farmhouse and relocate it to Bad Sassendorf. Schnitterhof was therefore purchased from Baron Oyenhausen. Although originally a farmhouse, about 150 years ago it was converted into accommodation for harvesters, known in German as ‘Schnitter’.
In 1978, Schnitterhof was dismantled into 5,673 individual pieces, which were transported to Bad Sassendorf with support from the regional heritage board. The listed building was then reassembled from the original components.
The third building, formerly a farmhouse in Klotingen in the district of Welver, contains the hotel kitchen and storerooms. The complex is complemented by two modern accommodation wings with a reception and an indoor swimming pool. This section has been adapted to fit in with the historical surroundings, and all four buildings are joined together by connecting buildings to form a unified whole.
Schnitterhof adds to the architecture typical of a health resort, and has boosted Bad Sassendorf’s attractiveness and reputation.
In September 2018, KRE Schnitterhof BetriebsGmbH & Co. KG became the owner and operator of the popular holiday and conference hotel and is planning to revitalize the hotel and expand Schnitter Spa. At the same time, the graduation tower in the neighbouring spa gardens is being restored.